What Happens If Someone Violates The Terms Of A Will?

WHAT HAPPENS IF SOMEONE VIOLATES THE TERMS OF A WILL? An executor or administrator could violate the terms of a will by doing something without court permission, in which case they could be held personally responsible for returning the funds that were compromised as a result of the violation. If they had a bond, then the bonding company would guarantee that those funds would be returned to the estate. A bonding company is an insurance company that insures that the administrator will follow all of the rules and not breach their fiduciary duty by inappropriately transferring assets out of the estate.

Does The Estate’s Attorney Represent Heirs?

An estate’s attorney only represents the administrator. While the estate attorney may give information to the heirs and beneficiaries and communicate with them from time to time, they do not represent the beneficiaries or heirs. If an heir has a dispute about how the estate is being handled, then they must hire their own attorney to represent them.

My Sister Says She Is Entitled To half Of My Father’s Estate, Even Though She Was Deliberately Cut Out Of The Will. Is She Right?

If someone insists that they are entitled to a portion of an estate despite having been deliberately cut out of a will, then they can argue their case in court and allow a judge to decide whether or not the execution of the will was done correctly. Under such circumstances, the chances of someone prevailing in court are very small.

When Is A Will Considered Invalid In California?

In order for the execution of a will to be considered valid, certain rules of execution must be followed. These rules are implemented in order to ensure that there is no undue influence in the creation of the will. One way of ensuring this is by having the entirety of a will written and signed by the testator. If they write out the entire will, then it will be more obvious that they agreed with the content and didn’t just sign their name on a piece of paper. If it’s a pre-printed or typed document, then there must be at least two witnesses who sign the will and attest to the fact that the creator of the will recognized the will as such. If any of these requirements are missed, then the will is considered invalid. However, this doesn’t necessarily mean that it will not be given any effect; it just means that it won’t be presumed to be effective. If, however, it can be shown to a high standard of clear and convincing evidence that it really was intended by the person to be their will, then it will be introduced as the valid will of that person and the instructions within it will be followed.


My Father Made A New Will Just Before He Died, Leaving Everything To His Best Friend. Can I Challenge This?

An individual can absolutely challenge a will, but whether or not they are successful will depend on a lot of circumstances. As a child of the decedent, an individual has standing to challenge any will that leaves them with less than what they would have received without a will. Someone could go to court and bring evidence that would show that the creator was not mentally able to make changes to their will, or that someone coerced them into doing so.

I Was A Witness To My Mother’s Will And The Lawyers Are Now Saying I Can’t Inherit Anything. Are They Right?

If someone was a witness to their mother’s will, the amount that they will inherit may be affected but not eliminated altogether. If a beneficiary of an estate is a witness to a will, then it’s presumed that they somehow wrongfully procured that will. However, if there are at least two witnesses to the will in addition to the interested person, then the interested person’s signature as a witness can be ignored and will have no effect. If the interested person is one of only two people who signed as a witness, then it will be presumed that some level of fraud or undue influence occurred. So, a person would not lose their entire inheritance, but they would lose anything that they would not have received in the absence of a will.

For more information on Violating The Terms Of A Will, a free initial consultation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (626) 385-6303 today.

Follow Us On